President and Chief Executive Officer
Arkansas Science & Technology Authority
The Arkansas Science & Technology Authority is seeking qualified applicants to fill the role of President and Chief Executive Officer.
ASTA is an affiliate of Arkansas state government and is responsible for the oversight and promotion of science and technology-based economic and educational development within the State of Arkansas.
Candidates should possess a strong academic or business background in science, technology, engineering and math, and must be able to utilize these skills in working with technology-based businesses and academic institutions and promoting technology-based economic development.
The successful candidate must be capable of performing the following tasks and duties in a professional, expeditious and responsible manner:
- serving as a spokesman for the State of Arkansas and its technology-based businesses and educational institutions in the promotion and development of high paying science and technology jobs and the growth of technology based business opportunities;
- being current with regard to national and international science, technology and engineering developments that might be imported to the State of Arkansas in order to further economic development;
- overseeing and administering the receipt and disbursement of federal, state and other grants and contract opportunities and insure the accountable distribution of such funds to designated recipients;
- overseeing and administering all fiscal, budgetary and financial reporting duties of the authority;
- representing ASTA and the state’s science and technology economy before the Arkansas General Assembly regarding legislative matters;
- reporting to the Governor of the State of Arkansas and the ASTA Board of Directors and provide regular reporting of the activities and achievements of ASTA;
- effectively communicating with educational institutions and technology-based businesses within the state and promote and encourage the economic development of science and technology based concepts, patents and ideas;
- overseeing and administering the ASTA staff of twenty-two (22) employees;
- maintaining accountability for the promotion and development of higher paying science, technology, engineering and math based jobs and businesses within the state; and
- overseeing and administering the numerous programs that fall within ASTA’s responsibilities which include:
- Arkansas Manufacturing Solutions,
- NSF-funded EPSCoR Programs,
- Arkansas STEM Works Initiative;
- Technology Transfer Assistance Grant (TTAG) Program;
- Seed Capital Investment Program;
- R&D Tax Incentives and Credits; and
- Centers for Applied Technology.
The successful candidate will be replacing the agency’s long term director who has retired after serving in this capacity for nearly thirty years. Base salary is $100,000 plus retirement, health, vacation and other benefits.
Please send resumes to:
ASTA President Search Committee
425 West Capitol Avenue, Suite 3801
Little Rock, Arkansas 72201.
Resumes will be kept in confidence to the extent allowed by law.
More information about ASTA and its programs and purposes can be accessed at www.asta.arkansas.gov.